Refilling with 3rd party ink vs OEM expired Large Cart

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scott Dobry
Scott Dobry Regular Member • Posts: 298
Refilling with 3rd party ink vs OEM expired Large Cart

Based on my other recent thread about not being able to get MK ink to print on MK paper (the Pro-10 maddeningly forces you to use PK ink) I'm considering dipping my toe in the refill pool as it were.  With the advice of Joe and others here, I intend to install "imposter" re-chipped MK carts ink into the PK slot to fool the printer in printing MK ink on matte without having to use the "fine art" / Margin 30 media choices which have their own maddening limitations.

So, in some limited research I've determined that standard PGI-72 carts the ink costs are about $1/mL.   Pros:  OEM color and longevity.  Cons:  High cost.

Refilling with 3rd party (Precision Colors for example) could get cost down to about $.12/mL.  Pros are low cost, decent color. Cons are questionable longevity and potential need for custom profiles.

Couldn't the best compromise be to use super large-format Canon carts from ebay to refill the PGI-72 carts?  For example, you can get an expired PPI-101 with 130mL of ink for $20.  That would be $.14 /mL!  This way you get OEM color/longevity, low cost, no custom profiles.

If my proposal holds water, 3 questions:

Is it OK to use any large format cart model (for example PFI-1100, PFI-101) that has "Lucia" formula ink for using for these refills (MK ink in this case for me)?

How difficult is it to harvest the ink from these large format carts and are some easier than others?

Is using expired ink OK or is that asking for trouble?

Other issues?

-- hide signature --

Scott Dobry
www.scottdobry.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow