Camedia C-5050 available

Started Dec 14, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dave rogers Regular Member • Posts: 385
Camedia C-5050 available

If you're interested in a C-5050, there's one up on shopgoodwill.com .

Looks to be in good shape, has a few extras.

It can take nice pictures, though I'm not sure the experience is "enjoyable." The optical viewfinder is tiny and the lcd isn't much better, especially outside in the sun. The optical viewfinder has issues with frame coverage and parallax.

I like mine more as an historical artifact than as a camera I would use every day. The build quality is impressive, and the design is attractive. I don't like the clip on lens cap, as I inevitably forget to remove it before turning the camera on, and it makes a frightening sound followed by an audible error alert. No permanent damage though.

I wouldn't say it has any particular "character" that makes its images unique or more compelling or desirable. They're just very good, especially considering the age of the sensor. In the four thirds world, the Kodak CCD sensors were revered for the character of their files over the later Panasonic CMOS sensors. It's early days still for me with the 5050, but I haven't detected any sort of special character to the files. (Frankly, I'm not sure I see anything special in the files of my E-1. I think I do, but it may just be bias from reading so many favorable posts about it.)

This isn't intended to be a review. Just to kind of help set expectations if you're interested in acquiring one. It is usable, takes good images, and is an impressively built device. But I wouldn't give up my XZ-1 or XZ-2 for it.

dave rogers's gear list:dave rogers's gear list
Olympus C-5050 Zoom Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus XZ-1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS +29 more
Olympus E-1 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow