G9X vs. G9X ii for an elderly person?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ecm Senior Member • Posts: 1,659
G9X vs. G9X ii for an elderly person?

Quick question to all you G9X and G9X ii users out there - would this camera be OK for an elderly person? Unfortunately I live remotely and don't have the opportunity to see the camera for myself.

The person in question is somewhat digital-camera savvy, and is coming from one of Canon's small A-series cameras; she didn't like that she had to plug the A-series in to charge it, and she didn't like the tiny controls or tiny viewscreen. She also didn't like the 10X zoom, she's used to fixed-lens or minimal zoom cameras, and I think would be perfectly happy with the 28-84mm range of the g9x series.

She's definitely a point-n-shoot type, just wants pictures, doesn't care at all about video. She does care about how the camera looks, I think she'd love the pseudo-retro look of the silver and leatherette model.

I'm looking at the G9X because it's bigger, but still pocket-able; it has the touch screen controls that I think would be easier for her to see - she'd use them minimally, but still would want the option. The zoom range is good for her, and I think it'd be a step up in usability, especially the G9X ii with improved startup and shot-to-shot.

So, am I overlooking something? Is the G9X ii "faster/better enough" that it's worth the extra $60? Is there a better camera (in this price range) that'd be a better choice? Please let me know your opinion!

-- hide signature --

Quot homines tot sententiae - "As many opinions as people".

ecm's gear list:ecm's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Pentax Q7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
Canon G9 X Canon G9 X II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ecm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ecm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow