How to decrease grid artifacts with DXO Prime ?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tokumeino Senior Member • Posts: 1,588
How to decrease grid artifacts with DXO Prime ?

Disclaimer : As a former C1P user, upset by the so inefficient DAM that it is unuseable, I switched to DXO recently. Both software have strenghts but after answering a question here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60507872, I realized that DXO's output with Prime produces many "grid" artifacts. I'm not usually pixelpeeping but for an evaluation of converters, I do.

When converting a RAW file and applying Prime NR, I can see "grid" pattern artifacts. Please look at the original-sized images to figure out what I mean.

Zoom on a DXO conversion with default Prime and sharpening. Only a few of artifacts are circled. They are actually everywhere.

When I push the maze slider, it doesn't help. Since I'm new to DXO, I'm sure that it is a misuse. What can I do to circumvent this artifacts issue ? To let you play, I've put files here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10it-zmXDLFwSePDAXQMyP5srYBFZ6z5m?usp=sharing, including the RAW file.

The following is only the context (not mandatory to read)

The zoom above is from a DXO conversion with Prime enabled.

Latest's DXO conversion with default Prime and sharpening

If I want to apply NR to a low ISO file, it is because with small 1" sensors like in my Canon G7XII, there is noise even at base ISO. And prime does a good job in maintaining details while removing noise grain.

DXO conversion with sharpening but without NR

By contrast, here is an edit with C1P (in DXO I forgot to remove a 10% touch of ClearView, that's why the sky is less "dramatic" but more subtle here)...

C1P edit with default NR and low sharpening

tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Canon G7 X II Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow