Hike with the FA50mm 1.7 on the K1

Started Dec 14, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,566
Hike with the FA50mm 1.7 on the K1

https://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/RiverPhotography/Dec-2017/i-HRnP9C7/A

As part of an ongoing project, I used the old FA50mm 1.7 on the K1 today.  It is an oddly built affair that requires you to take off the lens cap in order to screw in the strange-looking hood.  The old screw drive made a lot of noise and the lens was not quick to focus, but when I focused on the mountains, they were in focus, and when I focused on the dogs they also were in focus.

Jessica (the Irish Terrier) looked good in 589 and 599 and a few others.  Ben the Rhodesian Ridgeback having been a show dog for the first three years of his life seems to strike a pose several times in each hike.  So some of these shots would tell the portrait shooter how well the lens might work for them -- sort of.

I took several shots of the mountains in order to check later in Lightroom to see if they were in focus.  They were.   I got up on the levee and shot 652 and 655 to get whole shots in focus.  They seemed okay.

I took a couple of close-ups of cactus, 652 had been in our recent wildfire.  655 seems to have missed it.  The detail of the spins was good.

Coming in the December gallery right after the hike with the FA77, one can see that the FA50 1.7 isn't that good.  And yet the shots from the FA50 1.7 aren't terrible.  I'm not going to take the lens out into the back yard and break it up with a hammer.  It is going on the shelf with the other FA lenses.  However, it isn't likely to come down from that shelf as often as some of its companions.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 Pentax K20D +89 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow