500mm vs 600mm?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,132
Re: I'll complicate the matter a little...

Steve Balcombe wrote:

GreyGoose wrote:

Directly comparing bokeh of refractive vs. diffractive optics, same background & aperture, at similar FL

This direct comparison is very convincing.

I've seen examples of very similar distracting bokeh from my 300 and 500 with TCs - shooting wildlife it's not uncommon to have problem backgrounds - so I've wondered whether there might be an element of confirmation bias in the examples chosen to illustrated the DO's blur quality. However yours is almost as direct as it can be.

I say "almost" - there is one key difference which is that you've used the 2x on the DO but only the 1.4x on the 600. The difference could be due to the Extender. Did you also try the 2x on the 600?

I have seen such "nervous" bokeh coming from almost all of the Canon big whites I have shot, including the 600 F/4 II.  I think it is a focal length, distance to subject, and distance between subject & background type of thing.  I think it is possible to demonstrate this on the bare lens by picking the above parameters correctly.  I certainly would remove the extender from the equation and it is certainly unfair to compare a 1.4x to a 2x extender.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jjl
jjl
jjl
jjl
jjl
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow