Hoping For Help Choosing A Tripod For G85 - Video & Photos

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jiffster Junior Member • Posts: 32
Hoping For Help Choosing A Tripod For G85 - Video & Photos

Hey Folks,

I’ve been scouring through any thread I can find here regarding tripods as well as Google and YouTube but I still can’t determine which tripod I should get and I’m hoping you can help me decide.

I’m a relative newbie to video/photography (even though I’m 52 and have done a little of both) so I’m not sure where this new adventure might take me. If it’s like anything else I undertake (brewing beer, guitar, recording studio, hunting, etc.) I’ll be all in before you know it.

That being said, I can only use what I know are my current needs and what I am planning to do for the near future as my guide for helping me decide which tripod would suffice. With that in mind, I am not currently anticipating having several tripods and I’m hoping to make just one work for at least a year or two.

Even though I plan on taking full advantage of the G85’s image stabilization, I still need a tripod for when I’m taking video/pics of myself or recording for extended periods (live performances), etc.

I want to be able to have smooth pan & tilt and I want it to be easy to use. Some reviews I’ve read of some fluid heads describe difficulty in locking it, etc.

I would like a tripod that can handle the G85 plus accessories that I can see myself wanting soon such as a mic preamp, a camera cage, perhaps a monitor, a shotgun mic (I have a Rode Video micro)

I purchased the G85 user guide tutorial from Caleb Pike (DSLR Video Shooter) and he suggested an inexpensive tripod that he had been using for a long time – Magnus VT-300.

He also recommended some Arca Swiss Clamp & Plate to help make it easier to access the battery on the G85.

I also saw one of his video reviews titled “4 Years Later Review of My Favorite Tripod” – which was a Davis and Sanford “Grounder” Tripod. I would like the ability to get low to the ground, like that tripod offers.

A local camera shop suggested the Benro Aero 2 but I’m not sure if the weight rating is enough. But what do I know anyway?!

Caleb also recommended the Benro S8 but that is much more than I want to spend right now. I do have some lighting but I am planning to make some lighting purchases.

I will be using the setup for:

Now

Video myself – guitar instructional videos

Video me and my students during lessons

Creating music videos to support my music

Video/Photo of potential future band performing

Video grandkids band concerts

Photos of myself

Video/Photos of a bunch of other things – Nature, places, etc.

So, any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

I really hope I can find something that is ~$200 that would suffice without me having regrets that I didn’t get something better for at least a year or two.

Also, should I look for used?

Thanks everyone.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow