Need opinions on Vangaurd Alta Pro 263AP aluminum tripod

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
J Danley Forum Member • Posts: 53
Need opinions on Vangaurd Alta Pro 263AP aluminum tripod

Hello everyone. For almost 20 years now, I have been using a SLIK U212 Deluxe tripod. My use is mostly for landscape, macro, and product photography.  The SLIK has met my purposes though has had its challenges. I like the height, spiked feet, and geared center column.  I do feel that I have to fight it to get some of the shots I want from time to time. After years of loving use, it’s not in great shape and I’m looking to replace it.

I was delighted to find that it is still being produced but after reading some reviews, it does not seem to be a highly a recommended tripod. It gave me pause and opened my eyes to some of the other things out there.

Specifically, I saw the Vangaurd Alta Pro 263AP aluminum tripod with the pan head which seems like a good quality tripod. My question is, am I reasonable in thinking of the Alta Pro as an upgrade to the U212?  Are there any pitfalls to the Alta Pro?  Should I be looking at other options. My budget is about $150 which the Slik and Vanguard options accommodate. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Joshua

J Danley's gear list:J Danley's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow