Travel Compact Recommendations Please? ZS100/TZ100 or somthing else?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
adam c Contributing Member • Posts: 904
Travel Compact Recommendations Please? ZS100/TZ100 or somthing else?

Going on holiday with wife and kids (youngest 14) to South East Asia for a couple of weeks over Christmas.

We will be travelling quite a lot - spending only 2 or 3 nights in any location.

My main camera is a Canon 7D and I've had various compact cameras over the years, dating back to a not so small G3.

Having deliberated over it for some time, I've now virtually made up my mind not to take the 7D. It's very much a family holiday, seeing places, doing things etc and I don't want to interrupt that. And I don't want to be swapping lenses and having to lug around what my wife refers to as my '4th child'!

I will take lots of photos, but it's not a photography holiday!

So, I want something satisfying as much of the following as possible, vaguely in order of importance:

Size: Needs to be small. Ideally pocket-able.

Price: Preferably no more than about £500 / $500 ish.

Quality: As good as possible for the money.  Quick to react and decent auto-focus.

Zoom: Ideally more than just x3 or x4. x10 or similar would be good.

RAW: Yes.

WiFi: Would be a big plus, to the extent it's almost a 'must have'.

Lens: Faster the better - obviously! But hard to find with the other criteria.

Video: Needs to have decent video. 4K nice to have, but not a prerequisite.

Weatherproofing: Would be great!

So, the closest I've come up with to meeting these needs is the DMC-ZS100 / TZ100.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or does the ZS100 look like a good choice?

Many thanks

adam c's gear list:adam c's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +1 more
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X10 Panasonic ZS100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow