Doing free pics for work in a few days

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
confused circle Senior Member • Posts: 1,567
Doing free pics for work in a few days

Below is a picture from last year. I did not take it. The location will be the same. I expect the light through that window will be essentially the same (location, time of year, and time of day being basically the same) The positions will be the same. I do not control any of that. The pictures will be printed on 4x6. They will be given for free to the customers who participate. I will not be printing them. This is a bit of community fun.

There's about 10' from the window to a big counter that doesn't move. There's about 20' from behind the elf to the opposite wall. But, the doors are in the middle of that. It will be a regular business day with regular traffic.

I have an X-T20, 23mm/2 lens, tripod, Godox X1T, (2) TT685F speedlights, (2) cheap 6 ft stands, (2) cheap 10 ft stands, (2) cheap 33" shoot through umbrellas, (2) cheap 33" reflective umbrellas, (2) cheap 40" bolly boxes, a cheap 24" round reflector (please notice the theme), and hey, as many white poster boards from Wal-Mart or white insulation sheets from Home Depot that I might want to buy.

With this in mind, including the fact that none of what I just mentioned will likely be changing, what would you suggest? I get the concepts of inverse square, shutter speed controlling ambient light, positioning to create detail with shadows, etc. But, I am no strobist, the lighting gear is new with just some playing around at home by me to see the affects on shadows for different modifiers and positions, and messing with the shutter and seeing how ambient and flash interact. This will be done in an hour during business in a small location (ie I have little luxury for rattling off test shots to find my way), and it's for free photos where last year people where satisfied with what is below (no negativity on my part, just communicating the level of expectation). I want them to be nice enough, and the only pressure is what I place on myself. I was going to start at perhaps f/4.5, ISO 200, and 1/120 shutter in TTL. I don't know if that's a reasonable starting point. Not sure if I should bounce off the ceiling or use a modifier. I see no reason to complicate things, and the less stuff in the way the more convenient for other customers.

Fairly typical example from last year.

confused circle's gear list:confused circle's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Rokinon AF 35mm F2.8 FE +5 more
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow