Newbie looking for stand/boom for overhead monolight

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Azimuth Jones
Azimuth Jones Regular Member • Posts: 190
Newbie looking for stand/boom for overhead monolight

I'm thinking about playing with an indoors-only clamshell setup (screenshots from Youtube video below), using a monolight with softbox/grid or beauty dish at 90° aimed down. My original thought was to get a C-stand (Adorama's house brand model is on sale for $99 right now with a 40" grip arm. On another thread in the Portrait forum (I didn't realize until now that this forum also exists) people talked about cheap vs expensive C-stands, as well as using light stands and a boom.

I assume that the monolight plus beauty dish would be around 6 lbs (plus possibly a counterweight on the boom or grip arm, which would shorten the already short 40" reach).

Would the Adorama C-stand be sufficient for this, or should I look to a more heavy-duty C-stand (eg Matthews), or should I look to a light stand (casters or not) with a boom?

If I could get away with the $99 Adorama special I'd do it, otherwise I'd consider double that for the stand and grip/boom.

Suggestions?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow