what e-mount setup for multi-day trek in Torres del Paine

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pockets33433 Forum Member • Posts: 92
what e-mount setup for multi-day trek in Torres del Paine

So going to do a multi-day trek in Torres del Paine.  Famously scenic.

Also will do a series of day hikes in other Patagonia regions.

My question is what camera/lens combo makes sense to haul around in a backpack.  I won't have to carry much other heavy gear such as tent and cooking equipment, as staying in these refugios.  So could pack up a bunch of camera gear.

However, prob won't carry a tripod and switching primes on the trail may not be ideal.  I tend to stick with what I have on the camera and shoot to that focal length--so zooms are helpful.

I own the A7rii and a decent selection of FE lenses:  Batis 25mm, Sony 35mm/1.8, Sony 55mm/1.8, Sony GM Master 85mm/1.4, and the 24-70mm GM Master zoom.

I also happen to own an old NEX-5N (I think around 16MP) with the 28/45/90mm Contax G primes, all of which are very compact.

I was thinking maybe just bring the A7rii and the GM zoom only because it covers the wide end of things pretty well.

The GM zoom is not as "good" on the long end, but I don't want to bring it and the large the GM 85mm/1.4.  I thought i could throw in the Contax G 90mm and that would be as long as I could go.  Manual focus but glaciers move slowly.

Any thoughts/guidance/experience?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow