So Here's My Take On ACDSee vs. DXO

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
SaltLakeGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,813
So Here's My Take On ACDSee vs. DXO

I love them BOTH for their individual strengths, and soon will ante up for a copy of the DXO PhotoLab. I also have the ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2018. As some of you know I've long supported the superiority of the ACDSee. That isn't so much changing. Here is my take on them for their strengths as I don't fee either has a particular weakness.

ACDSee: I've now discovered after extensive working back and forth between them the ACDSee is instant and "real time" regarding it's processing. Something many will get spoiled on if you're not accustomed to processing that has NO waiting to develop before your eyes. The 2nd and primary strength it has OVER DXO and any other program is it's "Light EQ" adjustment in it's EDIT mode. It simply has NO competition. The boat load of fine adjustments at so very many frequencies is so fast and intuitive that you can quickly address a file with such little effort easily correcting slight under or over exposures or enhancements in a VERY specific lighting frequency area without making it look artificial. This is rather intoxicating and in itself is a simply wonderful feature to have. I did indeed find it superior to the DXO's equivalent. The ACDSee's "DeHaze" was in the end actually a very much equal rival to the DXO "ClearView". Don't get me wrong the DXO Clearview is outstanding indeed. Just not what I'd consider outright superior to the results one gets on the ACDSee's DeHaze. For some time now I've touted the ACDSee's DeHaze as the best one out there, so at least DXO stepped up to the plate and has a pretty much equal, which is no small accomplishment. I learned today that aside from ACDSee now also supporting the Sony RX10MkIV fully, it also supports all the Adobe PlugIn's easily as well. So I uploaded the NIK Google package to it and voila'....works like a charm, a real strong plus.

OK, So:

DXO: Well, it may not be "Instant" to process as ACDSee is, BUT it for darned sure is extremely user friendly. I have YET to have to read any manuals or seek online advice other than the one tip our beloved Ed gave me that got me going on this program with the NIK features. Their brushes and Repair tool are every bit the equal of the ACDSee to be sure. Control over lighting is admirable to be sure, BUT in the end it's not quite as versatile as the shear ease of that "Light EQ" on ACDSee. Is it a deal breaker? Na not really. So considering all in all DXO is at the very least an equal to ACDSee other than it's shear processing speed, the user friendliness alone is very enticing and makes it a shear joy to use overall. So here's the REAL DEAL on DXO. Flat out, undeniable unarguable there flat out is NO "Noise Reduction" like the Prime on the planet......no not even anything remotely in the ballpark......(sorry forget the heck out of Topaz been there done that). It is flat out uncanny how one can dial in a file, then export it to say the desktop with the Prime used (eh so what it takes maybe ONE minute) and voila' you have the file there and when viewed is virtually devoid of any bit of noise yet it leaves the detail and sharpness in areas it's not needed completely and utterly alone. This is flat out remarkable in my opinion. There's not been ANY program to date to do this. Kudo's to them for this.

So in the end I feel I need BOTH. One without the other simply leaves a bit of compromise I'm not prepared to make. I want it ALL. The BEST noise reduction and the BEST lighting control over my processing. So there you have it. That's my story and I"m sticking to it

-- hide signature --

A member of the "Been There Done That" club. Owned nearly every camera brand and type you can name along the way.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow