Careful! fraudsters are after you...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mfriesenm Forum Member • Posts: 65
Careful! fraudsters are after you...

Well, I just had a disappointing day,
Some time ago I bought a Minolta 300 f4 and loved it. At that time I had someone warn me on this forum that this lens would be an issue, because I would only want more reach and start looking at the 600 f4 (for Wildlife)... And they were right, I have been looking for a great deal on this lens, and thought I struck gold this morning by seeing one on amazon.com at 500$. I did find this to be very suspicious, but I decided to give it a chance and try to get it.
So I sent an email to the seller for pictures and started to gather my pennies. After many emails between me and the seller, I received an email which looked like an official amazon email requesting me to go out and purchase an Amazon gift card of 500$ at a store to buy the lens. By this point ( and 6 emails earlier ) I was sure it was a scam so I called Amazon to confirm the whole thing and report him.

I don't know if the scammer is using some sort of software that allows him to identify Items you were looking for (I was looking for the 600mm f4 and it is a rare enough item that you wouldn't expect it to be targeted by scammers) or if he selected this lens specifically because it is rare.
please be careful when buying stuff on the internet.

mfriesenm's gear list:mfriesenm's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow