DxO performance report

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Veteran Member • Posts: 9,909
DxO performance report

Just for the sake of the curious, here are my performance findings with DxO Optics Pro 11 and PhotoLab on a 2012 MacBook Pro and PhotoLab on a 2017 MacBook Pro.

The systems:

2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.9GHz i7 with 16GB RAM and a 480GB SSD boot drive

2017 MacBook Pro 13" 2.3GHz i5 with 8GB RAM and 250GB SSD

The method:

I processed 24 16MP RAW files from a Panasonic GX7, 18 shot at base ISO and 6 at ISO 3200. Applied my basic custom preset with: DxO Smart Lighting, Vignetting, Crop, Lens Sharpness, Chromatic Aberration, and Distortion set to auto/default and Noise Reduction set to Prime value 30. Exported full-size Quality 90 JPEGs. App preferences were identical.

The results:

PhotoLab 2017 MBP = 19:04

PhotoLab 2012 MBP = 26:00

Optics Pro 2012 MBP = 23:37

Observations:

Interesting that PL on the 2017 was 27% faster than on the 2012, despite less RAM and a lower clock speed. Interesting, too, that PL was slower than OP on the 2012. I've actually had conflicting results when comparing OP and PL. At first PL seemed 10%-20% slower. After an update, it seemed to hit parity. This accorded with other user reports here on DPR. But, those early tests were with just a few randomly chosen images. I'm not going to install OP on my new 2017 MBP just to test it.

One other finding. I changed PL preferences to allow simultaneous processing of 3 images (in my test above it was set to 2), and got a 4% faster result - 18:21. Oddly, 3 is the max on my 2017, but on the 2012 the preference setting goes up to 4. Both apps are the latest build.

-- hide signature --

If you think digital is hard, try slide film.
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +29 more
DxO Optics Pro Elite
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow