DxO performance report

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Veteran Member • Posts: 9,453
DxO performance report

Just for the sake of the curious, here are my performance findings with DxO Optics Pro 11 and PhotoLab on a 2012 MacBook Pro and PhotoLab on a 2017 MacBook Pro.

The systems:

2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.9GHz i7 with 16GB RAM and a 480GB SSD boot drive

2017 MacBook Pro 13" 2.3GHz i5 with 8GB RAM and 250GB SSD

The method:

I processed 24 16MP RAW files from a Panasonic GX7, 18 shot at base ISO and 6 at ISO 3200. Applied my basic custom preset with: DxO Smart Lighting, Vignetting, Crop, Lens Sharpness, Chromatic Aberration, and Distortion set to auto/default and Noise Reduction set to Prime value 30. Exported full-size Quality 90 JPEGs. App preferences were identical.

The results:

PhotoLab 2017 MBP = 19:04

PhotoLab 2012 MBP = 26:00

Optics Pro 2012 MBP = 23:37

Observations:

Interesting that PL on the 2017 was 27% faster than on the 2012, despite less RAM and a lower clock speed. Interesting, too, that PL was slower than OP on the 2012. I've actually had conflicting results when comparing OP and PL. At first PL seemed 10%-20% slower. After an update, it seemed to hit parity. This accorded with other user reports here on DPR. But, those early tests were with just a few randomly chosen images. I'm not going to install OP on my new 2017 MBP just to test it.

One other finding. I changed PL preferences to allow simultaneous processing of 3 images (in my test above it was set to 2), and got a 4% faster result - 18:21. Oddly, 3 is the max on my 2017, but on the 2012 the preference setting goes up to 4. Both apps are the latest build.

-- hide signature --

If you think digital is hard, try slide film.
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +29 more
DxO Optics Pro Elite
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow