Olympus USA Support - Flash Info Not Reliable

Started Dec 12, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Aoresteen Regular Member • Posts: 436
Olympus USA Support - Flash Info Not Reliable

I just spent a frustrating 15 minutes on the phone with Olympus USA Support asking what are the safe flash trigger voltages for  C-5050, C-5060, C-7070, & C-8080, E-1, E-3, E-5 & E-420 (all cameras I own).  Three years ago they told me that the safe trigger voltage for the C-5060 was 12 volts.

After a 5minute hold the tech came back and said "6 volts".  When I asked why I was told 12v 3 years ago for the 5060, she said the techs told her 6v today.

I asked her to double check the E-1 as it has long been out there that 250 VDC was safe for the E-1.  Answer: 6 volts. The owners manual on page 106 says that over 250 V is not safe for the E1. But it doesn't say what IS safe specifically.

It seems to me that Olympus techs have no clue what the real safe sync voltages are for their cameras.  The only reason I included the 5060 & E1 was to check to see if they are consistent with their information.  They are not.

The Olympus manuals generally omit this info.  The E-420 manual gives info on manual flashes on page 73 but NO warning about high sync trigger voltages.

The E3 FAQ does state that the E-3 trigger voltage is 6 VDC.  Nothing is mentioned about safe flash voltages  in the E-1 or E-5 FAQs.

I have a Wein SafeSynce hot shoe adapter so untill I get more definative information I will continue to use the adapter.

Why all the fuss?  My Paul C. Bluff Zapp 1000 studio flashes trigger voltages are 10.5 VDC. Can I use them without the SafeSync?  Who knows.

Aoresteen's gear list:Aoresteen's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +13 more
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-420 (EVOLT E-420) Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow