autofocus point accuracy D850

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 14,139
autofocus point accuracy D850

Yesterday I took the new D850 out to do some test shots and get a feel for the autofocus speed and accuracy.   I have some odd results, but to show it I need to find a way to export a Jpg that shows the focus point.   Is there a way to do that within View NX-i or Capture NX-d?

What I see is a red focus symbol (the red brackets) showing up in the image completely missing the subject that is actually in focus.   That is, it seems like the displayed focus point is not lining up with the actual focus point.

I'm also seeing a lot of jumping around of focus points when shooting a moving target, though that could be me moving the (500mm) lens between shots (at 7fps).

Right now I'm wondering about the displayed points, but in the field the camera seems to be accurately focusing.  I did a quick and dirty simple test of shooting cars driving toward me (around 45mph), in all focus modes, and in every one of the shots there was a focus point indicator.   That means the camera thought it acquired and held fpcus on all the shots - that's not something I would have expected from my D810.  (AF-ON, focus+release priority).

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
PMB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow