Focus doubt

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForrestGump
ForrestGump Contributing Member • Posts: 763
Focus doubt

Well, it’s not a real beginner question, but yet I think this is the best place to ask.

I’m having a photography course, even if I’ve been unlucky with the teacher. Her images are way better than mine, but she really can’t explain things – and learning anything becomes overwhelming – and she’ technically quite unprepared. Recently she explained us focusing, and she warned us about situations leading to bad behavior of the autofocus.

TEACHER: “In such situation you’d better switch to manual focus. To focus manually, turn the focusing ring until you see the green dot (for Nikon user) on the left”.

FORRESTGUMP: “But when I am focusing manually, shouldn’t I rely on my eyes better than on the green dot?”

T: “Absolutely not. Why should you?”

FG: “We just assumed autofocus is working poorly due to the peculiar situation…”

T: “Oh, but when you switch to manual things are totally different!”

To me this makes total nonsense: an automatic system which is performing poorly should get suddenly better in the very moment I exclude it. I’m really lost, my thesis looks so plain and simple to me, yet her confidence makes me doubt: did I clumsily miss something? Am I wrong? Or is she speaking about something she doesn’t know?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

-- hide signature --

Take a look to my gallery! http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8514753894 I'm sure you'll find something to teach me!

ForrestGump's gear list:ForrestGump's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow