Orion with astrotracer miscalibration fix

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Polacofede Contributing Member • Posts: 887
Re: Congrats!

chris gunn wrote:

Polacofede wrote:

I have never ever been able to achieve precise calibration.

After some suggestions here by Chris Gunn and reading some similar things on pentaxforums I tried, just by trial an error, if i could compensate the miss readings by approaching different pieces of metal to the bump that holds the compass, it took me just a few minutes and test to find out how to hack it. I just needed to keep the metal bar in position when the camera started each exposure I guess that is the only time the camera measures its position and orientation.

It worked out so well that i could do 50s shots at 400mm of Orion! In previous attempts i was able to get 20s however the stars looked like rugby balls in the best cases. This time i was able to get rounded pin point stars.

50s! That must be close to the claimed maximum.

this is the result 20 frames 50secs each at 400mm f5.6 ISO800-640 . I suck editing.

Looks like you've captured a lot of the dust in the area quite well. I'd like to have a look at your stacking output file (like a .Tiff).

I have uploaded the stacked tiff here , so anyone can take a look.

Also keep in mind i'm no master at this ( maybe at anything ) .

Let me know your thoughts.

I don't know what are those little spider legs on the stars. Maybe some kind of scratch in the lens?

Looks more like lens shake? Three instead of one legs is a bit strange though.

honestly i don't know, maybe. First will try to figure out the more practical way to compensate the astrotracer, then will worry about the spiders

So, I'm veeery happy! Now I need to figure out a better maybe semi-permanent way to compensate the tracker.

Well, if I can get similar improvement, I'll be a happy camper too!

Yeah for sure! It's worthy to give it a try!

-- hide signature --

cheers!
Gunn
-- Get a big lens and get closer™.

-- hide signature --
 Polacofede's gear list:Polacofede's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow