Is my new lens too much for my camera?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Flat view
Quetzard New Member • Posts: 1
Is my new lens too much for my camera?

So I have a pretty basic Canon EOS Rebel T3. I mostly shoot kiteboarding pictures, so I need fast shooting and some kind of zoom, as I am usually on the beach and not in the water when I take pictures.

I bought a Canon Zoom 75-300 F4-5.6 and I loved it, but it had some limitations for sunset pictures. I had to boost the ISO to the max, which reduces the quality big time. And really, sunset is the best light, and most of the time, I shoot at sunset because I've been kiteboarding all day and I need a rest by then.

I finally got my hand on a Tamron 70-200 F2.8, a cheaper version of my dream lens. I found it used on Ebay, from someone who pretended that he used it 4 times (yeah... right?).

First of all, it came out of the box with a crack in the rim around the lens. ugh... Seller pretends that it wasn't there before shipping and it's FEDEX faults... I have a hard time believing this one, especially that he didn't provide a picture of the actual lens, and it was written "sold as is" (sounds like he knew about it already). Anyway, description didn't say anything about a crack, so I call it... well... Just give it some title yourself, the words I would like to use are banned on this page!

Then I took it out for a spin. With wide aperture, I can't get any sharp pictures. Lowest Iso, fastest shooting, camera on the table, shooting a stationary object, I can't get anything sharp bellow F 8.0. I tried any kind of shooting speed, different apertures, different iso, different Av... I can't figure out how to get sharp pics with a wide aperture. Is my new (used) lens defective? would the crack in the rim be in cause?

Even my Canon 75-300 was doing a better job at widest aperture. I am EXTREMELY disappointed and I spent a lot of money on this lens. I tried to troubleshoot through the internet, but everybody claims that lowest aperture + fastest Shutter = best sports pictures, and you need a wider aperture for lower light shooting. No one talks about my issue, so I am starting to doubt the lens. Or I wonder if my camera simply can't handle that type of lens and I would need a better box (some kind of issue around autofocus communication speed between the lens and the camera? Maybe?) Anyone has an idea?

Is there anything I can do about the cracked rim, other than complaining to Ebay? I'm a bit worried about sea breeze full of salt and sand. If it got in there, it would pretty much ruin it.

Cracked rim.

This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow