55-200 in (Slightly) Cold Weather

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Elemanzer Regular Member • Posts: 166
55-200 in (Slightly) Cold Weather

So I was out this morning at sunrise, only about -8 C, and when I took my 55-200 out, I noticed that the zoom ring was a little stiff. When I looked through the viewfinder, I saw this:

...which is an interesting look in an impressionistic sort of way, I suppose, but at the time I was thinking more about things like the fact that this is my only (good on APS-C) tele, and that I can't afford to replace it just now. Incidentally, I also noticed:

• The lens no longer zoomed centrally; if you imagine a 3x3 grid in the viewfinder, the lens was now zooming into the top right box, rather than the central box.
  • The lens elements were so clearly misaligned that you could tell just by looking through the front of the lens.

Now, what does any of that have to do with the title? Well, thing is, now the lens has got back up to 20C it's just about okay, especially at 50-135mm. Not actually fixed (weak zoomed any further than that now, especially in the corners), but nothing like it was earlier this morning. And, tellingly, the lens is now actually zooming in the way you'd expect it to, and looks okay from the front.

So, I'm inclined to conclude that either the cold weather damaged the lens (but it was just eight degrees below), or else the cold weather interacted with pre-existing damage so as to make it much worse (but I'm careful with my equipment, and I've never dropped this lens or bashed it against anything, and I don't even risk using roller cases). Either way, it's disappointing even for a consumer lens.

Anyone else ever had any similar experiences?

Elemanzer's gear list:Elemanzer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow