Backlight frustration X-E3 (tips and advice very much appreciated)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Togun New Member • Posts: 21
Backlight frustration X-E3 (tips and advice very much appreciated)

I am currently on vacation with my new X-E3 and 23mm f/2, 35mm f/2 and 50-200mm.

The camera is great and I am enjoying learning to take photos every day. However one thing I am really struggling with is backlit photos, ex from inside a beach restaurant taking pictures of wife and kid and also capturing background sea view, or similar outside where background is very light. My iPhone X gets this right - with stunning photos, but I cannot get good result right out of camera. Underexposed subject og overexposed background.

I guess HDR would be great, but this is not possible in camera. Flash maybe, but I forgot that at home. Any tips at all on camera settings or other tips to get the most out of scenes like this? I really don't want my wife to be able to say - "why the iPhone beats this new "toy" with all the lenses. "Do we need to get even more?"

-Thomas

Togun's gear list:Togun's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow