Modify the lens mount of Samyang/Rokinon 35mm F1.4 AS UMC

Started Dec 12, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tingnan New Member • Posts: 12
Modify the lens mount of Samyang/Rokinon 35mm F1.4 AS UMC

I have a Samyang 35mm f1.4 AS UMC lens for Fuji-X mount. This lens was originally designed for SLRs and is later produced also for mirrorless cameras. Here is the picture for this lens:

You might have already noticed that the lens has an unusually long tube part between its aperture ring and lens mount. In fact, this is sort of an "extension tube" to compensate the flange distance difference between mirrorless cameras and SLRs. By removing the three screws I can separate this lens into two parts:

On the left, I have the lens body that contains all the glasses; on the right, we have the officially installed "lens adapter" to work on Fuji camera. So now I have an idea: is it possible to manufacture a custom adapter for this lens with a Canon EF mount?  The Canon EF version of this lens looks like this (stock photo):

As you can see the only difference between the stock photo and mine seems to be the mount part.

I am thinking of 3D printing a mount and give it a try. If that works I will try to find a good machinery store/custom adapter service to get a high precision metal version.

Let me know your opinion. BTW I know this is not cheap and probably not efficient. If all I want is a Canon copy of this 35 1.4 I can just sell my copy and by another. However, I think this is a fun thing to do...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow