Best inexpensive prime in the ~85mm range

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jslade797 Junior Member • Posts: 47
Best inexpensive prime in the ~85mm range

Hi all,

Fairly recent convert to Fuji here, having a blast with adapted lenses (my Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4 is a dream) but struggling a little on the more tele end for portraiture.

I acquired a Minolta MC 100mm f/2.5 which produced incredibly washed out colors, especially skin tones, which makes me wonder whether this is typical of the lens or just of my copy... Requires so much LR work as to be prohibitive.

Next was a Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro - have only had a chance to use this briefly but early signs aren't encouraging - I struggled to get decent focus despite zooming on the EVF and focus peaking and the bokeh can be distracting.

Couple of questions present themselves:

1) If I'm finding manual focus so difficult at this focal length, would it be easier with the larger screen of an X-T2 (on the wish list) or do I simply need to save all my pennies and eventually get the Fuji 90mm f/2 for the AF?

2) Perhaps a more modern manual focus lens like the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 would give me better performance than the adapted lenses I've tried so far?

I'm on a budget and can't currently justify spending $900 on a lens, and if I am going to save I'd be much more inclined to get an X-T2 and/or 56mm f/1.2

What would you recommend as a stop-gap until the 90mm becomes within reach?

Many thanks for any advice and suggestions!

Jonathan

jslade797's gear list:jslade797's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow