Gitzo Quality Control?

Started Dec 10, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP Sage Senior Member • Posts: 2,363
Close Out Thread

Sage wrote:

I purchased a new Gitzo tripod model GT4543LS. It's a very stable tripod and appears to be well made except I noticed that it is not level per it's spirit when placed on level flooring with the legs equally extended to a defined stop. My inexpensive Oben tripod actually displays a level spirit on level flooring, but not my much more expensive Gitzo. I confirmed the floor was level using a carpenter's level. As a result, I have requested an exchange for another GT4543LS. Of course, there's no guarantee that the replacement tripod will be perfect either. I'm disappointed that a tripod that costs almost $1,000 US dollars is not perfect from the factory. I'd appreciate other's thoughts and experiences with their Gitzo tripods from a quality of manufacture perspective. Of course, I can always make my camera level using the ball head, but I would still expect a perfect tripod for the money I spent. Thanks.

I wanted to thank everyone for your feedback, insight, ideas, and support. I wanted to close out this thread by letting everyone know that I shipped the tripod back to the retailer with a request for an exchange for another GT4543LS. Today, I also spoke to Gitzo's technical support team that is based in the United States (New Jersey). They stated they weren't sure to what extent Gitzo actually tests tripods for the condition I described before they leave the factory. However, he recommended that I return it to the retailer for another one, which I had already done. Based upon the feedback everyone has provided I will set my expectations a little lower for the replacement tripod, but hope it is a little better than my first unit. Thanks.

Sage's gear list:Sage's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow