D850: Auto-ISO and Time-lapse

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,079
D850: Auto-ISO and Time-lapse

PREFACE: In the past, all of my time-lapse sequences involving nighttime were fully manual-exposure endeavors. This discussion is about testing semi-automatic exposure settings (aperture priority).

One of the trickier types of time-lapse projects is day to night, starting out in the daytime and letting the sequence continue into dark. I'm thinking that if I can get this done with some automatic exposure assistance, it would be a lot easier.

Here's the problem I have: I knew from experience that the exposure for the night time shots should be 1/2 second @ f/2.8 and ISO 400. This would get the city lights / skyscrapers exposed about right without being too bright (blowouts and detail loss).

So I set the ISO Sensitivity Settings as follows:

• ISO Sensitivity: 400
  • Auto ISO sensitivity control: On
  • Maximum sensitivity: 400
  • Minimum shutter speed 1/2 second

My expectation was that even if the meter started reporting that the scene was over exposed (if it was still applying too much weight to the dark areas when it got to full darkness), it would only go down to 1/2" and go no further.

The result was that the nighttime shots ended up all being at 3 seconds rather than 1/2 second, over exposing them by a few stops.

It honored the max ISO, but not the min shutter speed. Why?

FYI: The first exposures were at 1/4000 and it dutifully brought it down with the sun, but it kept going past 1/2".

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow