Not so great D850 wow moment

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 13,844
Not so great D850 wow moment

After fiddling with settings over the weekend (was busy) I took the D850 outside for the first time today to test autofocus and use my 200-500. Nothing wrong with the camera that I've found so far, though I had to educate myself on some settings.

But this is the first time in over 10 years I've tried shooting a long lens without a grip on the camera.

And wow, it really sucks! Now I'm almost glad I didn't get this camera in September when I ordered it, only to suffer through months of not having a grip.

To you grip-waiters out there, I feel you! This camera has a bit different feel, maybe better than the D810, but it's just uncomfortable without the grip, with the 200-500, or the 70-200, or even the 24-70. For the first time I start to understand people who say the 24-70 is big and heavy. It feels quite normal to me (been shooting a 24-70 f2.8 since about 2008, but always on gripped cameras.

C'mon Nikon! Ship those grips!

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +36 more
Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow