Did not think I needed to upgrade to RX10 IV

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,852
Did not think I needed to upgrade to RX10 IV

I really like my iii version of the RX10 but there have been too many times it would just not focus. I do shoot sports but have the a6300 and Canon 80D so I had no plans on using any version of the RX10 for sports. A couple days ago I was on a plane and trying to get shots off in the distance from the plane window and the camera would not lock on to anything. I have had problems with sunsets and even landscapes where there was not a lot of contrast. I even had problems manually focusing which kind of surprised me. Maybe it was just a problem shooting through a plane window but the a6300 did not seem to have the same problem.

So surprisingly the RX10 IV is now on my radar. I assume the PDAF focusing points will make a difference in the situations I described, but correct me if I am wrong. I admit I am now a little conflicted on what to take when traveling, but it is nice problem to have. I have revived my appreciation for the a6xxx series. I can take my a7rii and/or a6300 as well as the RX10 when traveling but will not likely take all three. For my beach vacations and city vacations (I enjoy visiting San Diego) I will take the a6300 which gives me higher quality files plus an ultra wide when needed (the two lenses I take are the 10-18 and 16-70) and the RX10 (IV?) for extra reach. When visiting National Parks then I will probably leave the RX10 at home and take the a7rii, but for some reason I just like having the RX10 with me at all times.

From what I have been reading the main advantage of upgrading is the focusing capability. I do want to do more film clips so my understanding is the touch screen helps in filming. I am guessing those are the two real improvements but the focusing improvement is becoming a huge deal now for even non sports.

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
Canon EOS 80D Sony a6300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow