A-mount Godox vs Flashpoint li-on, Metz

Started Dec 11, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeadm Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
A-mount Godox vs Flashpoint li-on, Metz

I've been perusing the different aftermarket TTL flashes for the A77ii as its been many years since I needed to shop for one. At that time there were very few good alternatives to Sony (Metz was one), and most cheap flashes weren't really worth it.

$250 is my approximate budget. In that range I've seen the Metz 52 AF-1 and Sony 43 (both used), I pretty much know what I'm getting with those. I've been intrigued by the Godox / Flashpoint li-on models (v860ii and Zoom R2) with the remote trigger at $225, and while the hardware seems exciting my "cheap flash" concerns from the past do give me some pause.

The other thing I noticed is that in many places people equate the Flashpoint and Godox models. However, the specs seem to indicate otherwise. Godox claims a guide number of 60m/197ft @ ISO 100 200mm, while Flashpoint guide number is rated at 34m/127ft @ ISO 100 200mm which is substantially less.  If it's the same hardware (and I have no reason to believe it isn't), it sounds like the Flashpoint (Adorama in house brand) is deliberately underpowered to either increase flash longevity or recycling time.

I welcome your thoughts on any of this.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow