Upgrading my GX1- Is GX85 enough for indoor sports?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Roy Bell New Member • Posts: 21
Upgrading my GX1- Is GX85 enough for indoor sports?

Hey all. I have had my GX1 for quite some time now and decided to upgrade. I am a causal shooter and really like the camera for what it is- very compact and simple to operate with good photos. Obviously since the camera is coming up on being out for 7 years, it's getting a little outdated compared to my Note 8 phone which can shoot 4K

I did some brief research and it looked like the most logical move would be the GX85. It's cost friendly, had the features I wanted (4K) and some extra like the 5 axis stability. However, once it arrived, I was kind of surprised of how heavy and large the camera was in comparison to my GX1. This is pushing it for a pocket camera and I am debating if I should had just gotten the GX850 like I Was going to originally. I did some brief testing around the house on objects and pets and while the AF was extremely better than my GX1, I felt the end result wasn't 7 years better than my antiquated GX1.

This brings me to the next question. Is this enough camera for indoor sports (cheerleading, vollyball, etc)? The daughter joined cheerleading this year and I obviously want to get some good shots of her doing flips. I tried shooting video this weekend with the new one and, while the video was great with the 4K, trying to grab a frame of her mid air proved to be near impossible. Next weekend I will try just shooting normally and scrap the video idea.

The GX1 proved pretty good with her outdoor sports (horseback riding, soccer) coupled with the 45-150 lens. However, in dimly lit gyms, my frustration is growing with the M43.

I am looking for some suggestions here. Should I stick with the GX85 and invest in some better lenses? 12-35, 35-100?

Current lenses I own are the original 14-42MM, 20MM, 25MM, and 45-150MM and the 12-32MM that came on the GX85

Or should I get the GX850 for a more pocket friendly camera and invest in a better shooter for the indoor stuff- C, DSLR, GH5/G9?

One issue I am having with the cheerleading stuff (since we are new to sport) is that we never sit in the same spot at these gyms. Last week we were almost on the mat and my 20mm wasn't wide enough for video. This weekend I could had used the 45-150 but we were sitting too low (judges in the way) so I moved to the floor and shot around 20mm on the stock lens. I of course did not even bring the 20mm prime this time. Spending almost a G note on the 12-35 might be great at one event, but the next one I will need more lens.

One of the other mothers was shooting with what appeared to be a C/DSLR Nikon and had some great pictures sitting all the way up in the stands. Am I asking for too much out of this platform? Or, should I invest in faster lenses and practice a little more with the indoor stuff? I appreciate the help and look forward to everyone's suggestions.

Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow