The missing M4/3 camera

Started Dec 11, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,021
The missing M4/3 camera

This post may seem odd to many, since M4/3 has so many great camera bodies available in so many different styles and types. Rangefinder or DSLR style. With or without an EVF. Big or small. Weather sealed or not. We seem to have every type of camera we could possibly want.

Except one.

A small fixed lens compact with a fast prime lens. Something like a four thirds sensored compact camera designed like a Sony RX1, Leica Q or Fuji X100. A high end camera with high end features that would be ideal as a travel cam or street shooters, with a fast wide lens.

You could achieve the same thing by supergluing a 14mm, 15mm or 20mm lens to a Panasonic GM5, but I think I'd want something a little better. A little bigger, with better ergonomics, better controls, much thinner, higher build quality, and a much better EVF.

I would love to see something like a weather sealed LX100 with a permanently affixed 15mm f/1.7 lens. But the lens would collapse into the body.

It would look something like this, but it would have a self closing lens cover, like the LX10 does. And it should be a stunning little camera.

The camera should cost around $1,000, which seems about right considering the Leica Q costs $4,500, the Sony RX1 costs $3,200 and the Fuji X100 costs $1,400. The camera with the smallest sensor should cost the least. In it's class, it will be a bargain, and Leica will probably rebrand it as a Leica Q-Mini for twice the price.

What do you think?

Would you want one of these, or am I just  dreaming out loud and spewing hot air?

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic LX10 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
Yxa
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow