Those wonderful rich colours in photos?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 20,093
Re: Those wonderful rich colours in photos?

graybalanced wrote:

Brisn5757 wrote:

That's a good point graybalanced. I don't pay much attention to how colours go together in a photo. So it would be worth while to learn more if I can find a good source of information. I also have problems with adjusting colour (colour balance) in post production. Making colours warm is appealing but can also result in a surreal photo.

One of the classic books on the subject is "The Interaction of Color" by Josef Albers. It was eye-opening to me how much color perception is a product of juxtaposition. The same color can look dull or vivid based on the colors around it. It came out in 1963, but now there's an iPad app version which is interactive. Some good background info here:

https://www.wired.com/2013/08/josef-albers-classic-interaction-of-color-gets-a-21st-century-upgrade/

This knowledge does not make Photoshop unneeded. We still need to know how to edit color in Photoshop or in camera. I think Josef Albers' ideas are important because when sub-optimal color composition is used, this is difficult or impossible to overcome in editing! The opposite is also important: if effective color composition is used, then color editing later becomes much easier.

If you don't want to subscribe to Photoshop, there is a shareware program called Image Analyser which has a good colour wheel interface for changing individual colours.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow