Repair Process - Is it industry practice to charge for an estimate of repair? Fuji UAE

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Peter Lieu New Member • Posts: 3
Repair Process - Is it industry practice to charge for an estimate of repair? Fuji UAE

Here's the background.

I was unfortunate enough to have two cameras in my carry-on luggage on the floor of an Airbnb rental in Bangkok.  On the first night we woke up to a flooded ground floor with my two cameras getting soaked.

Canon 7D with EF-S 17–55mm lens

Fuji X100T

I kept both cameras off for two months knowing that they may still work after drying without power switched on.

Canon powered up and shot a few photos.  Pictures blurry as the lens and sensor dirty.  Took it into Canon in Abu Dhabi and now out for an estimate for repair.

Fuji dead with no power.  Took it into their authorized distributor and quoted a charge of USD 40 for an estimate for repair.

I would like to know what is the industry standard or what it should be?  I would think in this day and age the camera companies would want to keep a customer rather than losing them to the smartphones.  With three young children smartphones are the easiest solution but I still go to the cameras for special occasions.

I have written to Fuji HQ and complained officially to the UAE dealer as well.  The person in shop sympathized with my issue but was not able to waive the fee.

It is not a lot of money relative to the value of the camera but on principle I was shocked at the level of service.   I told my wife I would but the new X100F if the repair was too costly.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on the following:

What is industry practice on repair quotes?

What is a good option to replace the Fuji X100T that is not Fuji.

Thanks in advance

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100T
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jp4
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow