The Battle of the Tunas.................

Started Dec 11, 2017 | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Phocal
Phocal Senior Member • Posts: 2,501
The Battle of the Tunas.................

I have the 150/2 aka Little Tuna and a friend has the 300/2.8 aka Big Tuna, when he got the 300/4 he started calling it the Micro Tuna. I like the name, so have started referring to my new 300/4 as the Micro Tuna also. I think it fits the lens, since it is in the same league of those two fabled lenses.

This comparison is actually something I was not planning until after I took the shots and processed them. I had been photographing a pelican when it decided to fly off just before the sun really started to shine. I got back in the Jeep and was turning around when I noticed this GBH sitting on a wood post in the water. I drove the Jeep as close as I felt he would let me get and grabbed the 300/4 to photograph him. I realized I was to close to capture his full body and after squeezing off a few frames picked up the 150/2 to photograph him.

The two photographs are taken 6 seconds apart and processed in my normal way via my custom presets. The 300/4 photo is not cropped and I cropped the 150/2 photo to get similar framing.

I was really surprised that they rendered the colors very similar to each other, unlike my comparison photographs between the 150/2 and 50-200 SWD which showed very different color renderings.

Can you tell which photograph was taken with which lens?

Please keep in mind that the 150/2 shot is what I call an extreme crop and this is not meant to compare sharpness or detail resolution. Save that evaluation for when I can photograph the same subject with similar framing.

This comparison is about color rendering of the bare lenses in identical morning light.

These photographs help to further my believe that the 300/4 and 150/2 are the best two lens combo I have ever used. It also provided me more reasons to not leave the 150/2 at home and to take both lenses every time I go out............thankfully my Olympus gear is small and light enough that it's not backbreaking to haul around two bodies and two lenses with effective focal lengths of 300/2 and 600/4. I would never have taken my 7D w/ 500/4 and 1D w/ 300/2.8 into the swamp with me................would only bring both if I was shooting from the Jeep or kayak.

Regards,

Phocal aka Ronnie

Phocal's gear list:Phocal's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +6 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
GBC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow