Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 Focus issues on D7200

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
McMoyer New Member • Posts: 24
Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 Focus issues on D7200

I recently purchased a pristine Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 push pull from eBay. The lens is unbelievably sharp on my D7200. It's made a great portrait lens. The only downside with the push pull version is that the autofocus is slow. When I'm using it for my daughters' soccer games, there's a lot of photos out of focus.

I'd heard that the two touch version was faster to focus, so I got one from eBay as well. It definitely is faster at focus as shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzKMe5Cea3g

The big problem with the 2 touch version is that it back focuses pretty dramatically.

Push-Pull version with no autofocus fine tuning

Two Touch version no autofocus fine tuning

two touch version with autofocus fine tuning set to -20 (the limit)

I'm thinking that I'm going to put the two-touch back on eBay, but just want to confirm that it's not a defective lens and just has issues with my D7200. I've heard about issues with back focusing, but I thought it was only an issue with cameras that didn't have the autofocus fine tuning.

McMoyer's gear list:McMoyer's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J4 Nikon D7200 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC +4 more
Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow