Low Light/Night with SL - Summilux-SL or Noctilux?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
George Regular Member • Posts: 292
Low Light/Night with SL - Summilux-SL or Noctilux?

I spent yesterday shooting the SL with the APO 50mm Summicron f/2.  Fantastic lens on the SL, but in low light I have to push the ISO to 6400.  Not a real issue, but it has more noise than I like.  Mind you, it's not bad, it's just a personal preference.  I'd like to keep the ISO under 3200.  That leaves me with a few choices at 50mm.  The two most compelling are the Summilux-SL and the Noctilux.  Mind you, this is for low light performance, not so much DOF.  I can back up a bit and get a little more DOF from the Noctilux at 0.95.  On paper, 0.95 vs 1.4 makes a difference, but in real world shooting and lens architecture differences (plus the fact that the Lux SL was created for the SL) I'm not certain how much of a difference there is for low light/night shooting.  Manual vs. AF is a non issue, I actually like manually focusing the APO now, so I should have no issues with either lens in that regard, especially with focus magnification and peaking.  Finding a good pre-owned noctilux may prove to be difficult.

An thoughts would be appreciated.

George's gear list:George's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow