Tokina 24-70 f2.8 - anybody have it?

Started Dec 10, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,714
Tokina 24-70 f2.8 - anybody have it?

I'm looking into finally upgrading my standard zoom to something better than my Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I'm looking at all of the options out there. The Canon 24-70 f2.8 II is not out of the question, but I'd rather not spend that much. Got other toys to buy! That said, if I come across a deal too good to pass up...

The Tokina was never on my radar, but lately it's been on sale for really good prices (under $700) so I started reading up. I've read multiple reviews, and optically the lens is very good but the AF is where it falls short. All reviews say the AF is noisy and slower than Canon, but it's mixed as to how accurate it is. Some say it's very good, others say it pretty much sucks.

The AF on my Tamron is a weak point, especially in continuous tracking and I'd like a substantial improvement here. I'm not expecting the Tokina to match the Canon, but anybody have this lens that can comment on how the AF performs? I'll be using it on a 7D2 and a 6D.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Sony a7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM +8 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow