A Sony TTL flash question

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dr_Love
Dr_Love Regular Member • Posts: 390
A Sony TTL flash question

I have what may be a really dumb question. I get the feeling that I have really overlooked something.

I shoot Sony A6500 and NEX7. All of my flash work is done with Buff Einsteins and obviously there is nothing TTL about this setup. I am curious about TTL that I'm thinking of a speedlight for situations where studio strobes are not practial. In my film days TTL flash meant that I could set my x-sync shutter speed and then select any aperture and the TTL would do the rest. After reading the owners manuals for both cameras, I came away with the impression that TTL is something entirely different now. From what I can see, (please correct me if I'm wrong, I hope I am) the only way to access TTL is by putting the camera into full auto and thus giving up control of both aperture and iso. Is this correct? The 'auto flash' setting in camera is completely greyed out for any mode but full auto. If I go to aperture priority will the system automatically set sync and then adjust flash output? Is there a way to set up for TTL that still allows me to select aperture and iso? If full auto is the only way to access it then I have to question, what is the point of having TTL flash if you can't control anything for creativity? I wish Sony manuals were more comprehensive.

Dr_Love's gear list:Dr_Love's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +11 more
Sony a6500 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow