RAW images in light room

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Thermidor Contributing Member • Posts: 745
Re: RAW images in light room

michaeladawson wrote:

Thermidor wrote:

mrkarisma wrote:

I am sorry guys, I just got so frustrated when the thought came up that I would not be able to shoot landscapes with my new X100F. And as the X100F is my first fujifilm camera I have no prior experience with X-trans sensors. No, I have not printed the images, I am going the check the pictures on different screens at work today to see if the banding at least changes or moves, which I guess it should if it is screen related? Anyhow, I am very glad to hear that my banding issues is not for real!

But, the wormy artefacts still remains for me in the latest version of ACR, personally I am not really concerned about this as I can only see it on the screen at 66% -100% but my swedish stock agency have very high standards and check all images in 100%, and I know that this issue will come up if I upload some of my shots from the X100F . Is Irident developer the only way to solve this?

Sorry again guys, I let my feelings of disappointment get the best of me.

Download the Fuji RAW converter (which is essentially a repackaged, old version of Silkypix). Use it to save your RAW file as a TIFF image instead after you selected the film emulation you want. After that open the TIFF file in Photoshop or Lightroom, and you should be getting a much better image to work with.

If you're going to use SilkyPix to do the raw conversion you had best just stay there, IMO. Once you've saved as a TIFF you've locked in the raw conversion so you really need to perform all your major editing in SilkyPix before saving as TIFF.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

Silkypix is a lousy platform for serious enhancements. Aside from an unwieldy interface, it's also not able to recover as much highlight or shadow detail than in LR. I can live with it if I'm just processing a few images, but for work I'm normally dealing with hundreds.

The reason I'd export to a TIFF file is because I have the entire range of colour temperature, like it were a raw file, except I can't change film emulations. Aside from that, it doesn't feel any different from using a raw file. And even this is only rarely necessary, because I prioritize exposing my shots right, so in nearly all of my photos, I can jump straight to processing the JPEG file, and it's just very minor tweaks. Something like pushing up the Presence slider a bit, and perhaps slightly moving the tone curve, and a bit of dodging and burning. All of these adjustments are rarely past half stop, at the most one (anything more, and I'll work on the RAW of TIFF file instead), so it doesn't severely degrade the final JPEG output. There are times however, when colour-correcting skin tone in JPEG is just bothersome as it involves moving the tint and H/S/L sliders up and down too much due to multiple different light source, so that's when I prefer having the full colour temperature control of the RAW or TIFF file.

The reason I hadn't jumped to Iridient X-Transformer is because all of my work shoots were done in Astia emulation, so I only need to do a straight up TIFF export. Although I do plan on getting Iridient soon because Silkypix is fairly slow in its conversion process.

Thermidor's gear list:Thermidor's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow