Help deciding on 85mm

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
J Danley Forum Member • Posts: 53
Help deciding on 85mm

Hello everyone. I have the Minolta 85mm f1.4 G D lens that’s almost 20 years old now. On an A99, I find the autofocus to be a little slow and noisy, a problem made better by MF and focus peaking. I see that Sony has a few updated options in this focal length. There appears to be a Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 as well as an 85mm f2.8 SAM.  I use this lens and focal length mainly for portraits.  I’ll also say up front that I’m not interested in 3rd party lens options (just a personal quirk).

I thought the Carl Zeiss would be the equivalent but I read it was a new design rather than rebadged. I don’t often neeed the f1.4 but it’s nice to have it.  Dyxum rates the Minolta 4.87, the Zeiss 4.89, and the 2.8 at 4.38. That supports the Zeiss being equivalent based on that data but I don’t know if I’m missing anything between the lines.  As my lens ages, I was thinking about a refresh while the Minolta still holds some value. So my question is, keep what I have, sell it and get the Zeiss, or consider the much cheaper but fairly well reviewed f2.8 SAM version?  Input from those with experience with these lenses would be much appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your time and input.

J Danley's gear list:J Danley's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +11 more
Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow