Lens choice ideas please

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cal_blam New Member • Posts: 10
Lens choice ideas please

Hello there,

Perhaps you can suggest for me... I am upgrading from my loved, dust ridden Lumix LX100 to an X-T20 for hikes and bikepacking adventures. My first ILC.

With the LX100 I did a lot of scenery (generally wider and I never liked shooting with the zoom out much) loved playing around in low light and also doing ad-hoc nature macros.
I'm steering toward 2 x prime and maybe a zoom.

Option A:
- The Samyang 12mm has definitely got my attention for work in low light/wide including shooting star scenes; so I guess that takes care of the wider end.
- The 35mm (both f1.4 and f2) have also got my attention, and would be keen for this as my street and portrait go-to.
- So I'm thinking start the learning curve easy with the 18-55mm (will give similar range to the LX100 I guess). I've seen some nice time lapses done with this lens which I'd like to experiment with oo.
Only problem is - missing macro. However I'm pretty sure i could have a lot of fun with this and feel 'comfortable enough' learning my way in.

Option B: Samyang 12mm + XF 10-24 + 60mm XF macro. Feeling this option leaves me without too big a gap in the 24-60mm range, and I'm also concerned I will feel limited by the f4 on the 10-24mm (although I could go to the 60mm in lower light?).

What do you think of the above combos; is there anything 'wrong' about them. Any oher suggestions. Maybe I will just start off with the 12mm and 18-55, to make my first adventure easier?

-- hide signature --

Cal
Budding photo-hobbyist
on (dust-ridden) Lumix LX100

cal_blam's gear list:cal_blam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Fujifilm X-T20 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow