Sigma 14mm f1.8 Astro Test Results (Including Rokinon 14mm Comparison)

Started Jul 22, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP WebmasterNeal Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Sigma 14mm f1.8 Astro Test Results (Including Rokinon 14mm Comparison)

I ended up buying the Sigma 14mm f1.8 during a day after Thanksgiving sale. I still have the old Rokinon 14mm f2.8. Tonight I did a quick backyard test between the two to see how the new lens compares (the prior one was a rental).

Here's a couple test shots examples (also the RAW file can be downloaded here )

Test shot setup:

• 20 second shutter speed
  • ISO 100 (was in a city)
  • Sigma Aperture: f1.8
  • Rokinon Aperture: 2.8
  • Post Processing: Made white balance closer between the two. Bumped up the EV for the Rokinon 1.3ev. Did not apply profile correction
  • Steadyshot turned off

Taken from left side (Rokinon on Left, Sigma on Right)

Taken from center (Rokinon on Left, Sigma on Right)

Taken from right (Rokinon on Left, Sigma on Right)

Taken from left (Rokinon on Left, Sigma on Right)
Just look at the sharpness improvement on the Sigma. I found this occurring on all side so I don't think it's de-centering.

Other random observations:

• For some reason the Rokinon seems to have more FOV than the Sigma. I didn't move my tripod between shots, but more of the buildings on the bottom left are showing in the Rokinon shot. Maybe this is due to the mustache distortion showing more?
  • The Sigma of course has worse coma, but is much sharper than the Rokinon. Also the stars are sharper.

Let me know if you want any other tests, it's pretty cloudy where I live this time of year, but I can try for more when it isn't.

-- hide signature --
 WebmasterNeal's gear list:WebmasterNeal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II Sony 35mm F1.4 G Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow