What am I doing wrong here? Shooting with ND filter in bright sunlight

Started Dec 10, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cameranoobie Senior Member • Posts: 2,728
What am I doing wrong here? Shooting with ND filter in bright sunlight

I had to create a new thread, my other one was getting a bit long and didn't want to hit the max post limit.

Anyways, here we go. I did another shoot this morning and here is a test photo of mine after I set the exposure for the ambient light/background and set it for the subject now with the speedlite in M mode and just did a test shot.

With my 5 stop ND filter on, I opened up the A to f2.8 (Nikon 85mm 1.8G), 1/200SS and ISO100. Speedlight flash at 1/1 and flash zoom at 200mm.

Still too dark and my light meter on the camera was 4-5 bars below 0.

I am good up until i set the exposure for the subject and this is where I just can't get the light meter at 0 on the camera.

1) When you set the exposure on the background by adusting the ambient light, is the light meter suppose to be at 0 when taking a test shot of the subject with the flash off? Even at f2.8, 1/160 and iso100 the light meter is always still 3 or 4 bars below 0. I can never get it to 0. I am guessing this is normal? Hence why the flash will compensate for the extra light needed?

2) When I take test shots with flash on, on the subject, its tough to see in the sun to see if i got my exposure right. I am talking near impossible, even with pinch and zoom. I feel that what I view on cam may or may not be accurate of the final image. Is there any way to view the images on a much larger screen without having to buy a hotshoe LCD screen?

3) And lastly it seems when shooting with my 85mm that even with the flash zoomed at 200mm (which should give a harsher and stronger light over a greater distance), f2.8, iso100 and my flash at 1/1 full power that I barely have enough light hitting the subject. Why is this? Am I too far away?

To me in this photo, the ambient light looks good, I don't want it any darker or lighter. But I want more light from the flash hitting the subject.

Cameranoobie's gear list:Cameranoobie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D5500 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow