Indoor Sports Lens Advice

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
phooey New Member • Posts: 5
Indoor Sports Lens Advice

I recently bought a Nikon D3400 with kit lens and I'm really happy with it.

One of the reasons I got it was to take photos of Roller Derby. You can get pretty close to the action, say 3-5 metres away, but obviously the lighting is bad as its played in leisure centre sports halls.

The photos I've taken so far were dark but they came out better than I was expecting and were more than acceptable. The biggest issue was being limited to a 55mm zoom which made getting close in on action further away impossible.

So I want a bigger zoom that is suited to taking photos of Roller Derby, without having to spend a fortune. I've been looking at these two lenses;

Nikon 55-200mm VR II AF-S f/4-5.6G ED
Nikon 70-300mm VR AF-P DX f/4.5-6.3G ED

I was sold on the 55mm but then I read some reviews that said the auto focus isn't that quick, which I'm thinking would be a problem. The 70mm seems ok in that regard but the aperture isn't as wide.

I appreciate I won't get the same results as a high end zoom but my budget is limited.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Nikon D3400
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow