SD14 CF card issue | solved

Started Dec 9, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rue64285 Forum Member • Posts: 97
SD14 CF card issue | solved

Dear users of the SD14,

Recently I bought an used SD14 to start with IR photography (will use the 10 to 20 mm f3.5 zoom cause that seems to have no hot spot ...).

The cam came without a CF card, so I had to look for a new one (never had one in my hands before, because today it is all done with SD cards). I looked in the internet and saw lot of complaints about CF card issues (formatting and writing files to the card) - in this forum you'll find many threads too.

Finally I decided not to risk anything and ordered a small 4GB card which I then formatted to FAT32 and started to use in the SD14. I was able to format in the cam, but didn't get it managed to write a single file. I tried several times, but no luck (pretty much the same than many users report ...).

Though the firmware was V 1.08 (latest version available), I then updated it again (using that CF card). While the update process with the first file worked well, it failed with the second file (confusing enough that you need to copy two files with identical size subsequently ...). So, I didn't get it finalized with the second file, but there were no more specific errors than before (still not able to write a file ...).

At that point I had the feeling that it isn't manageable for me to get it work - but a last thing came into my mind: using an SD-to-CF adapter and using an SD card. You'll find some posts about such a thing, but it wasn't clear to me what it means regarding feasibility, speed and stability etcetera ... Hence I ordered such an adapter (because of availability I went for a "QUMOX SD SDHC SDXC Um CF Compact Flash Adapter Reader Typ 1 WIFI) which is available for less than a CF card ...

After getting that adapter I inserted a 4GB SD HC card and repeated the whole story - starting with the firmware update, which ran much quicker than before ... and finally it was a piece of cake to write the files on the card ...

I am not sure whether that can be recommended as a general path to solve the frequent issues when using CF cards in the SD14, but it worked nicely for me (so I wanted to share that with you ...).

The SD14 is not a fast machine, but the image quality is outstanding for that amount of pixels (which has the nice effect that processing in SPP V6 works much quicker ...), and I am looking forward to start with IR fotography (using a filter for 720 nm light ...).

Have a good day - and stay patient with the SD14.

-- hide signature --

Rue H. | much more enthusiasm than talent ...

Rue64285's gear list:Rue64285's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sigma dp0 Quattro Nikon Coolpix B700 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD1 Merrill +1 more
Sigma SD14
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow