Brand New 5d Mark III has Horizontal Shadow in Images. Shutter/Mirror problem?

Started Dec 9, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
buffobiffo New Member • Posts: 2
Brand New 5d Mark III has Horizontal Shadow in Images. Shutter/Mirror problem?

I just purchased a brand new 5d Mark III from B&H Photo to upgrade from my old 5d Mark II.  I was testing out the new camera today to make sure it was functioning correctly when I encountered a problem.  I tried googling this issue but have curiously found zero hits, so I'm posting here.  Maybe my I'm describing it incorrectly on google or something.

Anyway, when I shoot in burst mode or snap quick shots in succession in single shooting mode, I notice that there is a dark horizontal shadow that appears in the photos.  The horizontal shadow appears across the image (from left to right) and can appear near the bottom, middle, or top of the image.  When shooting in burst mode at 6fps, I'll notice that the horizontal shadow moves progressively upwards with each successive shot.  If it reaches the top of an image, the horizontal shadow will move to the bottom of the next image.

I suspect I have a lemon on my hands and there is clearly an issue with the shutter and/or mirror mechanism.  Has anyone had this issue before?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow