EV number for monitor and print

Started 1 week ago | Polls thread
Oldboy 1948
OP Oldboy 1948 Regular Member • Posts: 406
Re: Lighting standards.

Guy Parsons wrote:

All I've dug up that I will trust is lighting standards for judging prints in camera club competitions in Australia....

PRINTS

9.18 PRINT ILLUMINATION: The total illumination on a white card placed on the easel on which prints are to be judged shall read an f/stop between 5.6 and 11 (ideally 8) with an accurate exposure meter set at 100 ISO and recording 1/8 second, including the general room illumination comprising 1/4 to 1/3 of the total. For the judging of colour prints the illumination on the easel shall be similar to that used for monochrome prints. The best colour temperature of the light is 5000 degrees Kelvin

9.19 Prints shall be evenly illuminated on the judging easel which should be a dull neutral grey and measure approximately 76cm x 76cm. There must be no distracting glare or reflection near the print and the lighting shall be even, with not more than 10% variation over the area of the easel.

9.20 Extraneous light shall be kept to a minimum.

That from the page at https://www.a-p-s.org.au/index.php/exhibition/aps-nationals

I once built a lighted stand for those judges that had the specified illumination at the time, it then was quoted and measured in another way by measuring the incident light on the stand I made, not on the reflection from a white card, as there's white cards and there's white cards.

Reflected light readings are always hit and miss so for lighting standards incident light measurements are the only way. The incident light reading allowed me to move my meter all over the largest print size area to check that my lighting design kept within the specified 10% variation.

The resulting setup was fairly bright and not the sort of brightness that anyone would use to display prints for casual viewing.

Do some Googling for lighting standards for museums and exhibitions in whatever country you live in and you may turn up something of interest.

Regards.... Guy

Thank you Guy!  That means EV8-EV10.

Yesterday we had really bad weather here in my town in Sweden. The maximum EV outdoors was 9 for a few hours....

Oldboy 1948's gear list:Oldboy 1948's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon D50 Nikon D80 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a7 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow