15-85 efs versus 15-45 efm, initial indoors test

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
OP Woodman411 Regular Member • Posts: 381
Re: 15-85 efs versus 15-45 efm, initial indoors test

You can not make a blanket statement on lens quality solely based on zoom range and size. If there were any truth to your suggestions, the 11-22mm would be the worst wide angle zoom available for any mirrorless camera.

If the 15-85mm lens fits your needs, then that is great. Just don't mislead yourself into believing that it is somehow an optically better lens due to zoom range or size.

Of course it is more than just size and range, those were just some examples of the compromises in design any lens must go through. Other factors include cost/price and speed. Also, some older designs most likely still have an iteration to go through before hitting the wall in iq, like what happened with the 18-135 and 24-105. If they came out with a $2,000 18-135 efs with the same size and speed, I'm sure it will have better iq than the existing $400 one. Just the same, if they came out with a $2,000 15-85 efs with the same size and speed, I'm sure it will have better iq than the $2,000 18-135.

They'll never come out with $2,000 efs lenses, my point is, physics and design limitations (and cost and speed) must factor in to some degree in these iq comparisons, instead of this fixation on copy variance.

Woodman411's gear list:Woodman411's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
G-D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow