Damage on camera sensor due to the exposure to bright light

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PrTv Junior Member • Posts: 41
Damage on camera sensor due to the exposure to bright light

I'm new to mirrorless so apologize of this question may sound silly.

Today, I shined some light into the lens (85 1.4GM), attached to my A7Riii camera. I used a very strong LED flashlight to inspect the lens to see if the lens has this issue:

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/04/sony-fe-85mm-f1-4-gmaster-emergency-tear-down/

The light was shined directly into the lens for around 5 minutes (circling around the barrel). The lens was attached to the camera which was "ON" because if I remove the lens the aperture blade would be automatically shut. F-stop was set at F1.4.

After the inspection (and no white mark was found), I just realized that, since the camera was on the whole time, I may damage the sensor due to this excessive light.

BTW, after this, I did some test shots and the images seemed to be fine.

So, can the sensor, especially in ML camera, be damaged in situation like this?

Some said camera sensor is build to absorb the light, so the light by itself, regardless of how abundant of it, shall not damage the sensor, but HEAT does. So if this is true, the only real way to cause damage is shooting the sun, and in my case, no damage can be done regardless of how long I shine that flash light into the lens? Is this correct?

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever damaged their cameras in the situation like this?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow