Joe Edelman goes Olympus

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 1,257
Re: Joe Edelman goes Olympus

tjuster1 wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

I find individuals who completely disavow a particular band or technology and raise a new flag amusing. I shoot Canon DSLR, Olympus 4/3 and Olympus M.43 and each system has its advantages and I see no need dump a whole lot a gear and limit myself to one system. The gentleman in question is probably a skilled photographer, but ultimately on YouTube he's just another talking head seeking followers.

Interestingly enough, he seems to have sort of missed the point of M43 being a system, not just being an Olympus product.

I posted a long note on his Facebook page about my appreciation for using both the lenses from Oly and Panasonic, on my M43 bodies, as they both have some stellar offerings. He gave me a bit of a snotty response that he only will use Oly lenses, bodie. To which I repli, more power to you, but this ISN'T Nikon with only one source for native lenses; M43 is a system standard, and Panasonic is not making "aftermarket" lenses. But, hey, if he wants to not have access to several of the finest lenses in the system because he can't quite get it into his head that more than one manufacturer makes native lenses in this system....his loss.

I may not be a professional photographer, but I have 7 years experience with M43 and have used a very good chunk of the bodies ever made for this system, and about 2/3 of the lenses at this point, so I do know whence I speak.....

-J

My reaction exactly! And if I were really looking for smaller and lighter, I wouldn't choose all those Oly Pro lenses.

Pretty easy to explain, I think, for whatever thats worth:

At a certain level of involvement in photography, whether it be profit, or nonprofit, its common to have higher expectations of the output of the gear being used. In the area of the lenses, this means that if an advanced user has (lets say) a Nikon D810 and an AF-S 50mm f1.8G, it may not meet their requirements of edge resolution, light gathering, distortion, control of CA, viewfinder brightness, etc, etc. The difference between the f1.8 Nikkor and a lens like a Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG Art is going to be pretty well understood, and often valued by such users.

These ('high expectations') shouldn't be expected to change from format to format, IMO!

I am mostly talking about those who prefer to pick one system and work with that exclusively (again, I mean commonly, among 'serious', or 'advanced, or 'pro' users), which is also a common preference, for a variety of reasons, not 'gear heads', etc.

So, if I am coming from a D810 and Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG Art, to an E-M1.2 and MZD 25mm f1.2, there's a decisive change towards smaller and lighter, while retaining the VERY important qualities of rendering, etc, that only the best lenses can provide.

This was actually a VERY important basis for the design of 4/3 and m4/3, so it shouldn't be considered a contradiction, as it is quite the opposite!

Surely it goes without saying, that someone who has chosen to invest in m4/3 at this level, can be assumed to have determined that the output characteristics of the formats sensors are within their requirements!

FOR THOSE INTERESTED:

Along with the above, the below, by extension, naturally addresses the unfortunate idea (that is once again under discussion), here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60479339

Jan

Edit: I think I snipped some of the above quoted text, but it was unintentional.

But, like he says, he's not trying to convert anyone, just explaining what works for him. More power to him. Glad he's enjoying his new system.

-- hide signature --

"In my opinion to search means nothing in painting. To find is the thing."
-Picasso

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
NCV
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow